Case Study: Mobile Temperature Screening with ZKTeco ProFace X [TD] & Vanderbilt ACTpro to Protect Patients at St. James' Hospital in Dublin
In this case study, we analyze the requirements for contactless biometrics access control solutions used for mobile temperature screening by ZKTeco and how they Integrate with Vanderbilt ACTpro to Protect Patients at St. James' Hospital in Dublin, Ireland.
The challenge: Mobile Temperature Screening by ZKTeco Integrated with Vanderbilt ACTpro to Protect Patients at Dublin Hospital
St. James Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, which has more than 1,000 beds, is a teaching hospital that specializes in not only treatment, but health promotion and preventative services at its central location. Its current facility incorporates the clinical departments of the Trinity College medical school, the unit for dietetics and nutrition, the nursing school, the postgraduate center and the library of the Faculty of Health Sciences. It is also a central location for the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
“Using the ZKTeco terminal with the power of access control from Vanderbilt, St. James Hospital is better able to add additional screening procedures in an effort to protect patients and other staff members from potential infection exposure. This is crucial in a healthcare environment, where we’re already dealing with a vulnerable population and protecting them is of the utmost importance — especially during the current pandemic and the added stress this brings to our staff and our patient’s families.”
— Alan Buckley, Operations Manager - Facilities Management, St James’ Hospital.
Tasked with keeping patients and staff safe from the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic, St. James Hospital needed a way to add additional screening capabilities to its facility alongside its existing access control terminals. The technology needed to bring a multi-layered approach to screening individuals entering the hospital facility who could potentially introduce a significant amount of risk to those within the facility. While access to patient floors was restricted in line with mandates set forth by the government, it was critical for St. James to have an added screening measure for incoming staff at the facility.
The system elements
- St. James Hospital chose the Vanderbilt ACTpro Access Control Solution integrated with the ZKTeco ProFace X [TD] Visible Light Facial Recognition Terminal to address its challenges. The ACTpro solution specifically used the ACT1500 Single Door IP Controller and ACT1030 Card Reader alongside the ZKTeco system.
- The ProFace X [TD] solution uses intelligent engineering facial recognition algorithms and the latest computer vision technology and supports both facial and palm verification for a fully touchless experience.
- Coupled with the ProFace X [TD] solution, ACTpro can not only grant and restrict access based on biometric functionality but can detect mask wearing and high temperatures as a means to grant or restrict access to the facility. As a result, better hygiene is achieved with touchless biometric authentication, skin temperature detection and masked individual identification.
- If a member of the staff presents to the door with a high skin temperature, that individual is routed to another location and the door will not open in an effort to identify potential infection .
- The ProFace X [TD] solution is also equipped with an anti-spoofing algorithm for facial recognition against almost all types of fake photos and video.
- The ZKTeco ProFace X [TD] terminals have a straightforward, intuitive interface to set temperature thresholds and collaborate with the environment around them. Protocols can be set to prevent access if a mask isn’t being worn, or if the temperature of the visitor is above the threshold.
- The solution is ideally suited to hospitals like St. James because of their ability to be layered as part of a comprehensive approach to screening individuals considered at-risk for infection as a means to protect patients and other staff members.
- The solution was selected because of its ability to accommodate a maximum of 30,000 facial templates and up to 5,000 palm templates, as well as its speed of recognition of less than 0.3 seconds per face. When implemented in a healthcare setting, these factors are crucial to successful implementation.
- The touchless nature of the terminals brings safety and hygiene issues to the forefront, cutting down on possible exposure to infectious disease. The device detects people with elevated temperatures who can then be further scrutinized in an effort to add extra screening processes and identify potential disease exposure.
- This ability, along with the visitor check-in and tracking processes integrated with the ACTpro access control system, is a critical component in today’s modern healthcare facilities to provide real-time data for security officials.
ZKTeco Face & Palm Verification terminal
ACTpro Access Control Solution
Vanderbilt's Access control system hardware, web-enabled
ACT1500 Single Door IP Controller and ACT1030 Card Reader
Vanderbilt's Controller & Card Reader
Request more information →
Vanderbilt is a global provider of security systems recognized for future-proof, high-performance, easy-to-use intrusion detection and access control products. Vanderbilt are an advocate of open platforms and integrations. Their sister-company ComNet is a manufacturer of audio, video, data, and Ethernet communication products focusing on innovative communication networking solutions. Vanderbilt and ComNet are ACRE companies. For more information visit www.vanderbiltindustries.com.
About the installer
Forward Vision Security is a Dublin-based professional CCTV, alarm and access installation company.
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Do you want to receive our latest Time Management, Access Control, and Software Solutions in your inbox?
Get the latest news right in your inbox!
You might also be interested in the following news:
ZKTeco Access Control Turnstiles with Facial recognition biometrics
ZKTeco's Touchless Biometrics with Body Temperature Detection
The best Time Attendance solutions for remote workforce management
New TS Pro Series tripod turnstiles entrance control solutions